As I was cycling to work this morning I was overtaken by the number 18 bus in a manner which was frightening and frankly dangerous.
I was cycling along Lensfield Road from the Catholic Church junction towards Trumpington Street, and as I passed the Chemistry Department I became aware of the bus behind me. The bus very closely sat behind me for 50 to 100 metres as I repeatedly checked over my shoulder for safety. Ideally I wanted to be able to signal, in order to turn right at the roundabout, but there was no space to do so safely. In the end I very carefully pulled into the kerb and stopped, and the bus passed me.
I'm afraid I was unable to get more details of the bus, but it was a double-decker and turned left at the roundabout with Trumpington Street.
Please could you:
* identify the driver concerned
* ensure that they are properly aware of the need to give cyclists plenty of room, and to wait further back if there is not room to overtake
* determine whether this is a general lack in driver awareness
* if necessary arrange for more training for this driver or all drivers
* let me know what you have done
I was very shaken by the manoeuvre, and as I am a confident cyclist I dread to think how much it could have scared someone with less experience.
Edit: see comments for their response