In March 2010 Mike and I went on a walk (as we often do) and picked a route from the local OS map from Great Chesterford to Linton - allowing us to get a train there, then visit Linton Zoo and get a bus home. We noticed on the walk that the route was waymarked as the Icknield Way, and decided to find out more. We bought ourselves a guide to the route from The Icknield Way Association's webpages, and over the last couple of years we've gradually been doing more sections, a day at a time, with the help of buses and trains - doing some sections West to East for convenience of transport. Finally this weekend we took a train to Cheddington in Buckinghamshire, and spent 3 days finishing it off. It may not have National Trail status, but it's still a great walk, and in places it's utterly lovely.
I've finally put together our maps and photos on one site, so here they are:
- March 2010: Great Chesterford to Linton
- April 2010: Great Chesterford to Royston
- July 2010: Royston to Baldock
- March 2011: Linton to Stetchworth
- March 2012: Stetchworth to Kentford
- March 2012: Kentford to Thetford
- April 2012: Ivinghoe Beacon to Baldock
It's been a fantastic three days finishing it off - the only trouble now is working out where to walk next!