Eleanor Blair (lnr) wrote,
Eleanor Blair

  • Mood:

Of beer and socks

On Saturday Mike and I got up early and braved National Express (and I can't believe I only *just* thought of the Divine Comedy song) to get to London around 11:30 and joined some of his friends from uni in a Monopoly pub crawl. We kept notes as we went round, including all signing in at the front of the notebook, starting with Si, Nesta and Joe, then me and Mike, and later joined (twice) by Bev and then Matt (not Bob). Nesta has promised to eventually email me the list of pubs we visited, but Mike and I made it to 11 of them (they did a few the previous night and before we arrived and apparently another couple after we had to leave). I do however remember Euston Road, Oxford Street, (old) Park Lane, Piccadilly, Coventry Street, Vine Street (no pub), Trafalgar Square (ditto), Regent Street (a cafe), Whitehall, Northumberland Ave, Pall Mall and Bow Street at the very least. It was a great fun day, though I can't quite work out why I went from feeling drunker and drunker to starting to feel more sober without stopping drinking.

We actually passed through Trafalgar Square just as Belle and Sebastian were about to come on stage and stopped for long enough to hear most of their first song. Amused I texted Tom and he turned out to be there too, and joined us in the Whitehall pub for a drink (and the loo) once they'd finished. Nice to see him and his friend Tori who I've met once before, though it took us a while to remember where (missed the other friend's name). Having been at Bath overlapping with all the others I think he vaguely remembered Mike now he finally met him in person again, but didn't remember the others, apparently not having associated with first years when he was a finalist. This amused me somewhat given I met Tom when I was doing my finals and he was doing his first year in Oxford.

Mike and I left the others just before 11 at the Bow Street pub anyway (which was quite a nice one) and headed off thinking we had plenty of time to get Victoria by 11:30. We ended up with a sudden change of plan in Charing Cross tube station when the train in one direction wasn't going to arrive for 6 mins and a mad dash through Oxford Circus trying to find the Victoria line, and then a very quick walk/jog from Victoria tube to the coach station, arriving to find the bus was thankfully still there, despite us being technically 3 minutes late for it.

We had to get back to Cambridge because Mike had invited them and several other friends to come over for at least the day to celebrate his birthday (which was last weekend actually but he waited til I was back, aww!). In the end Rae made it over from Bath via her gran's yesterday) and Matt and Joe joined us again from London rather late in the afternoon, but no-one else could make it, which was a shame. Rae seems lovely too anyway, and we had a pleasant day, with Old Rosie on the grass outside the Mill, where me and Rae had our lives read by a chap with a bunch of cards. His insights were mostly wishy washy but rather cracked us up, especially as he expanded on what I should be trying to do in the relationship with my lover - Mike having gone to meet the other two walking from the station at that point. It gave us half an hour's amusement anyway, and more turned up later as a chap came over to ask what I was kniting, expressed amazement and awe at it being a sock, and then asked if he could have it. I pointed out it was unfinished, and that obviously he couldn't have the needles, and it would unravel, but no, he wanted it enough to give me two cans of cheap lager in return, so amused I accepted. There's still enough wool left to finish it from scratch (I finished the first on the way back from Whitby, will post pics when they're both done).

We moved inside shortly after than to finish our drinks because it was beginning to get cold, then went in search of food. We ended up with only a drink in the Eagle, where we discovered just how horrible the folk festival ticket queue had been and still was, because they only did pizza. Next we failed to be let in the Regal, and eventually had dinner at the Saffron (mmm Lamb Tikka Dansak). We considered buyng booze in the co-op and heading back to Mike's but were foiled by their till's clock, so we finished off with a quick one in the Castle which was the only other nearby pub still open after 10:30. We all seemed too tired to carry on into the wee hours, and were hampered by lack of booze anyway. Still, it was a good day, if a bit shorter and less peopleful than anticipated and hoped for.

Today I only plan to get some washing done, though the clouds are ominous enough I doubt I'll be drying it outside or getting the lawn mowed. Tomorrow we may do WUS, ah drat but my mum was just *really* recommended Teddy Thompson who she saw last week and who is playing the Junction tomorrow too. Hmm, decisions. I have decided Bmovie on Friday is a no-go - If we could stay in London between it and MFATGG on Sunday maybe it would be OK, but we have to be back for Matthew and Sally's wedding. Libby can't join me and Ernie for the gig on Sunday after all, which is a shame but not surprising given how busy she is right now. Will have to find some way to make up for it given she missed Whitby too. Mike's going to come along instead I think, so at least she won't have to pay for the ticket. Should be a good week anyway.

Tags: beer, knitting, life

  • Things

    A short list of things My mum's gall bladder is safely removed, hopefully good riddance My phone has died again, and is on its way to Giffgaff…

  • And relax?

    It's been a funny old summer. Since I last posted we've spent 5 weeks without a childminder - one of those was on a fabulous family holiday to…

  • December, Christmas and New Year

    Goodness it's a while since I posted here! Apologies to those who follow me on Facebook (or my photos of Matthew on blipfoto) and have probably…

  • Post a new comment


    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded 

    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.