Started off while we were setting up with the entirety of Blondie Atomic: the very best of Blondie, and quite a bit of Billy Bragg Back to Basics. Then when people started to arrive I briefly stuck on a Q magazine compilation "Assorted: best of 1995". From which I think only Cast Finetime and Paul Weller Stanley Road got played. I think on balance those weren't the ones I would have picked if I was choosing tracks. Janet stuck on a track in between those two I think, to have a go at switching from one deck to the other, but I don't recall what it was. The rest of the tracks I played are more or less as follows, but I've not much of an idea of order.
- Ash The Girl From Mars
- Manic Street Preachers Motorcycle Emptiness
- Green Day Welcome to Paradise (I'd intended to play Basket Case, but in skipping back to the beginning of the track accidentally selected the previous track instead)
- Eurythmics Sweet Dreams
- Pulp Common People
- The White Stripes Seven Nation Army
- Terrorvision Oblivion
- Therapy? Screamager
- Busted Year 3000
- Avril Lavigne Sk8ter Boi (these two deliberately went together for cheese overdose)
- Nick Cave Red Right Hand (Live version) - thankfully long, as I had to go answer a phonecall!
- Richard Thompson 1952 Vincent Black Lightning (didn't go down as well as I'd hoped, a bit quiet)
- Black Rebel Motorcycle Club Whatever Happened To My Rock and Roll
- Placebo Nancy Boy
- Supergrass Caught By The Fuzz
- The Jam Town Called Malice (this was a track request on seeing me trying to pick one from the album :-)
- Kaiser Chiefs I Predict A Riot
That's a rough idea of it anyway. Now I look at CDs I can't remember if I actually played James Laid or not. It seemed to be lumped together in the bag with the ones that did get played :-)
Anyway, it was fun, and my sisters approved of my playing popular stuff that's fun to dance to. It might have been nice to be playing later when there were people dancing, but *someone* had to get started, and it didn't matter too much if I goofed. By and large, since I was mostly making it up 2-4 tracks in advance, I had loads of time mid-track to chat to people and dance a bit, with the headphones round my neck.